Backing up your iDevice is not only important when you are installing a new iOS but it is advisable to always back up your device for any eventualities. You may lose your device or it may be destroyed for some reason and if you had not backed up your data, you may end up losing all your stored data. Imagine the frustration! Needless to say, before you install Cydia iOS, you have to back up your iDevice or you will lose everything stored in it.
Here are some of the ways you can back up your device.
Backup your iDevice using iCloud
iCloud is a great way of backing up your device. Any iPhone/iPad that has access to a Wi-Fi network can create a backup in the cloud, metaphorically speaking.
The convenience of cloud backup emanates from the fact that the iDevice will regularly keep backing up your data every time it is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Also, iCloud allows your new data to sync with the already backed up data and therefore you do not have to worry about the changes being made to the old data.
Remember to always plug your device to a power source since the backup process consumes a lot of power. iCloud also allows you to access your saved data using a different device from the one you used to save the data.
To back up your device with iCloud:
- Connect your device to power source.
- Ensure you are connected to a strong Wi-Fi network
- Launch settings on your device
- Select “iCloud’
- From the menu, choose “storage and backup”
- You will be prompted with”backup now” query.
- Confirm and let the device begin the back up process.
It is important to note that you must have an iCloud account in order for you to use the service. iCloud offers several other features such as tracking your device & location using a different device and so on.
Backup your iDevice with a computer using iTunes
Thanks to iTunes, iDevices can now be backed up in your PC. The application creates a local copy of all the data in an iDevice in the computer hard drive which can then be used to restore the device contents at a later date. It is important to note that there are several other applications that can be used to perform this function and therefore your options are not limited to iTunes. Backing up your data in your PC is encouraged. The PC offers unlimited storage space depending on the size of your hard drive. iCloud, though, only allows up to 5GB of free storage space before you have to pull out your wallet.
To back up your data in iTunes:
- Connect your iDevice on the computer with a connector.
- Open iTunes application. (Sometimes depending on your iTunes settings this may be automatic as soon as iTunes senses the iDevice.)
- Select the device from the list under “Devices”
- Right-click your device and select the “Backup” option.
- Wait until the backing up process is complete and then safely eject your device.
The process can be done both on Windows OS and Mac OS so you do not have to worry about OS compatibility.